Monday, March 19, 2012

Two posts in one day?!? Well...don't get used to it!

I didn't want to put ALL the pictures in one post. It will look better on my blogger stats if I've published TWICE in March!

Afternoon Tea at the Grand America Hotel!
My fellow teachers and I were recognized as the 5th grade team with the most growth on our reading scores between the beginning of the year and the mid-year reading fluency test. We were invited to "Afternoon Tea" at this Hoity-Toity hotel in downtown SLC. This is where the presidential candidates and sports stars stay (we saw the Miami Heat leaving while we were there).

We started off with a little tea (or hot chocolate in my case). It was almond something. Pretty much amazing.

IMAG1046

For the "tea" we had quaint little sandwiches. I felt very British.

IMAG1045

Of course, we wrapped it all up with some pretty amazing desserts. The best ones were on the bottom.

IMAG1047

We were also visited by a TV news anchor who expressed her appreciation for us and sat and chatted with us individually for a few minutes. It was really nice that she didn't just come in, say thanks and leave. It was nice to feel appreciated! I also got a autographed copy of a book by one of my FAVORITE authors (Shannon Hale). Pretty amazing afternoon!

I had a birthday! Shout hurray!

IMAG1050

My cake(s) were pretty much amazing. Red Velvet and Tuxedo Chocolate Mousse. Thank you Costco for making such delicious cakes! The best thing about your birthday is that you can eat cake for breakfast and not feel guilty. Or, at least, I didn't. I'm thinking we need the Red Velvet cake for our family gathering. No worries, I'll pick it up on my way to mom and dad's....

My birthday dress. I love it!!! I wore it to school a few days after my birthday and I overheard some 3rd graders talking about my outfit. One of the girls said, "How come Miss Vance always dresses so cute?" Another girl responded, "Yeah, she has the best clothes!" Praise from a 9 year-old? I'll take it!!

IMAG1052


IMAG1051

(This one is a weird angle, but I was trying to take a picture before I headed to church and no one else was around to take it. Well, Ella and Sam, but lack of thumbs kind of cancel them out.)

My birthday meant that I needed to renew my driver's license, something I last did 5 years ago. A lot can happen in 5 years.
IMAG1066

Here's to a fantastic and astonishing year of my life!!

(P.S. I love how my post is almost all pictures of food and my last picture is celebrating my weight loss....Ironic.)

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I'm so bummed I missed your party...I have no one to blame but me-and my flakiness.

    Congrats on all your achievements-you are a busy busy girl!

    (and your birthday dress is adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm thinking we need the Red Velvet cake for our family gathering. No worries, I'll pick it up on my way to mom and dad's...."

    It's funny that you mention this, because I've recently been thinking that it would be great to have a Costco chocolate cake while we're there. In fact, chocolate cake and plastic wrap are the two things I really want from Costco this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this really my brother? I am TOTALLY in support of Costco cakes! I haven't met one I didn't like! It's even better when there are many people to partake in them!

    ReplyDelete